Technical Surveillance Counter-Measures (TSCM) is often referred to as debugging, electronic counter-surveillance or bug sweeping. It's function is the discovery, identification, isolation and defeat of eavesdropping or other electronic devices and digital threats.
Please note: For obvious reasons, when contacting us in connection with TSCM, please do not to call from any area or any phone you believe is being monitored - instead, remove yourself from the suspect area and contact us from a sterile phone (perhaps a payphone). Likewise, if you suspect that a particular computer or perhaps an email account has been compromised then you should not use that computer or email to contact us.
What does TSCM entail?
A professional evaluation of a site's technical security posture consists of a thorough visual, electronic, and physical examination in and about the surveyed area, and includes the use of specialized equipment, such as:
- Frequency scanners and filters
- Spectrum analyzers
- Vector signal analyzers
- Non-linear junction detectors
- Time-domain reflectometers
- Portable x-ray machines
- Thermal imaging sensors
Best-of-breed TSCM Equipment
Our TSCM consultants are extensively trained, experienced specialists who use only the best-of-breed counter-surveillance and countermeasures equipment. Most of the equipment is supplied by Research Electronics International (a manufacturer of TSCM equipment that is preferred by governments, military, law-enforcement and intelligence agencies across the globe) and all consultants have been tested and certified by the manufacturer.
We are able to arrange ad-hoc or periodic surveys of your establishment, infrastructure and systems, in order to identify and neutralize any eavesdropping threats, protect your sensitive information and improve information and communications security. Although other technology and devices are also used, the following equipment is instrumental in the majority of TSCM surveys:
OSCOR GREEN Spectrum Analyzer
The OSCOR Green is designed for commercial applications to detect illicit eavesdropping signals, perform site surveys for communication systems, conduct radio frequency (RF) emissions analysis, and investigate misuse of the RF spectrum. The OSCOR Green Spectrum Analyzer sweeps 24GHz in 1 second quickly detecting transmitting electronic surveillance devices. OSCOR Green's unique integrated auto switching antenna system requires no extra antennas or cables. At 9.6lbs/4.4kg, OSCOR Green is portable and convenient to operate. The 8.4in/21.3 cm high resolution touch screen display puts "drag" and "move" controls at your finger tips.
- Fast: scans 24GHz in 1 second ensuring spectrum activity is captured (2,000,000 data points per second)
- Does not require additional antennas: built-in auto switching antenna system to 24 GHz means no additional antennas or cables are required
- Touch screen pan, zoom, drag and move
- Portable and lightweight: weighs only 9.6lbs/4.4kg
- 2-3 hour run time on battery
- Quickly identify localized RF energy transmissions of all types of modulation
- Easily Map RF Traces: Reference and target traces are quickly captured, stored, and compared (including differences) for rapid analysis
- Quickly Generate Signal lists
- Spectrogram (Waterfall) Display generates spectrogram of receiver traces over time
- Provides bench-top Spectrum Analyzer capabilities in portable design specifically for RF security surveys
- Built in demodulators: AM, FM, SSB, Sub-carrier, and video (displayed on screen)
- IF output, 25MHz wide centered at 75MHz
- Real-time frequency update and display while simultaneously demodulating
- Touch screen interface
- Built-in software (no separate laptop required)
TALAN Telephone and Line Analyzer
The TALAN incorporates several types of telephone line tests including common tests such as voltage, current, resistance, and capacitance tests, as well as NLJD, FDR Frequency Domain Reflectometry, and Digital Demodulation technology into a single piece of equipment. Additionally, the TALAN utilizes an automatic internal pair switching matrix to automatically perform tests on all pair combinations. The ability to perform several different tests allows the user to compare the results of multiple tests on multiple phone lines, quickly identifying any potentially threatening anomalies. With new enhancements built into the TALAN software interface, users can now test internet protocol (IP) packet traffic on VoIP phones and systems. VoIP data collected by the TALAN software includes Source and Destination Mac Addresses; header type; statistics - total packets; packet rate; peak rate and run time. Users can also define advanced filtering options. Data can be stored and exported to USB or Flash as data files for further analysis, sharing and reporting.
- Combines multiple testing capabilities into a single piece of equipment
- Automatic internal pair switching matrix performs tests on all pair combinations
- Quickly performs common test functions including:
- Multimeter tests (voltage, current, resistance, capacitance)
- RF Broadband Detector (up to 8GHz)
- Spectrum Analyzer (up to 85MHz)
- High Gain Audio Amplifier
- Bias Generator 80 VDC
- Audio Oscilloscope with active input (20Hz to 20KHz)
- Digital Demodulation to confirm that the telephone line is not passing audio
- Frequency Domain Reflectometer (FDR) to check for taps on the line
- Line Non-Linear Junction Detector (NLJD) Functionality to detect electronics connected to a line
- NLJD Line Trace Probe for tracing wires and locating electronics
- Multi-Test Database System provides the ability to perform multiple tests, on all pair combinations, storing data in a database for comparison against other lines and historical comparison
ORION Non-Linear Junction Detector
ORION (The Great Hunter) provides the capability to detect hidden electronic devices, regardless of whether the device is radiating, hard wired, or even turned on at all! ORION is the latest advancement in Non-linear Junction Detection and evaluation for Countersurveillance.
- Minimum Set-up Time, no cables or bulky transceiver units to carry
- Light weight, balanced ergonomic design for ease of use
- High Transmit power for rapidly searching a large area
- Circularly Polarized Antenna reduces search time and improves reliability
- Dual Harmonic with Discrimination Algorithms Minimizes False Alarms
- Standard type camcorder battery with long use time and quick charge function
- Wireless Headphones and Graphic Display for simultaneous Audio & Visual Information
- 2nd and 3rd harmonic operation includes advanced algorithms for minimizing false alarms as well as listening capability for each harmonic
- Dynamic power control for locating threats; automatic or manual control (14 mwatt to 1.4 watt)
- Synthesized transceiver provides frequency stability and agility to automatically search for clean operating frequencies
- Frequency range 880-1,005MHz MHz
- Circular, polarized antenna removes risk of missing a threat due to incorrect antenna polarization.